Monday, February 9, 2009

The Beach (Koh Phi Phi)

Here goes 3 more days of lying on the beach doing nothing. From Phuket, we took a boat to Koh Phi Phi.



Initially, Koh Phi Phi seems like my kind of place. It is extremely beautiful and the developed part is quaint and walkable. There are hardly any cars or motorbikes on the island. Soon after we arrived I realized that everybody here is a tourist and all the shops are geared towards tourists. I have no idea where the locals live, where the school is, etc…





I also learned that this is the place where the film “The Beach”, with Leonardo DiCaprio, was filmed. That probably has contributed to the amount of tourism the island receives.





Oh, and again, the breasts are out in full force…not that I’m complaining :)



Our bungalow is located on the side of a hill. It is quite a hike up from the beach to our place, but our view is pretty nice. The place also has a pool, so it became routine to jump in after the long hike up from the beach.







In the evenings every place on the beach would have these fire shows. They were cool at first, but I realized it is just a gimmick to get people into the bars. At one place, we were 2 of 6 people watching the fire show. I guess it made for some good photos.





One evening, as we were sitting on the beach drinking a beer, we noticed a dog burying his head in the sand. He must have been digging for crabs or something.



The last day we were in Koh Phi Phi, we summoned the motivation to rent a kayak. That was probably the smartest thing we’ve done down south. We kayaked out to the cliffs and around to a beach that is only reachable by boat.











Begging cats and dogs at restaurants are a common sight. One dinner, a cat sat on the chair next to me eyeing my food, and eventually even jumped on my lap. Sheesh…





The last evening, we found a bar that was actually playing some good music (Nirvana, Radiohead, Stereophonics, etc…). Most other places play techno, hip hop, or crappy light rock. All places play American music even though we’ve hardly met any other Americans in Thailand. I guess it shows the reach of American popular culture. We’ve poisoned the entire world ;)







There you have it. I’ll leave you with a photo of what I have to endure to keep this blog and photos up to date.



And here is one to leave you with some warm fuzzies.



See all our photos here.

No comments: